What to expect and what not to expect with this Skagway shore excursion
This Skagway dog sled tour starts just a short distance from your cruise docks at the basecamp right along the historic shores of Skagway. You will have a quick safety briefing before heading into the skies for your 15 minutes of helicopter time, where you will fly over Skagway's jagged peaks to the mushing camp situated high on the Juneau Icefield. Once here, your dogsledding experience starts with 30 minutes to interact with the dogs and mushers, learn about the history of the sport, and receive instructions on just what goes into mushing.
- Dogsledding on the Juneau Icefield
- 2 hours duration
- Fully guided by local experts
- 30 minutes of helicopter time
- Intimate small-group setting
- Mush your own team
As you prepare for the mushing portion of your tour, watch as the dogs yip in excitement and strain against their harnesses as they are chosen for the team; these dogs live to run. Then you are off! The Skagway Helicopter & Dogsled puts you in the musher's seat, letting you and other members of your party trade off on mushing your own crew of dogs for 30 minutes. When you have finished your sled, the helicopter portion of the return will be just as breathtaking as the takeoff, as you fly back into Skagway from high above. Don't forget your cameras, this Skagway dog sled tour is one you will want to remember for a lifetime!
Looking for more airtime? Check out the Icefield Helicopter Excursion in Juneau and the Misty Fjords Flightseeing out of Ketchikan!
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
SKAGWAY TOURS DETAILS:
- Accessibility: This tour requires a moderate fitness level in order to load and unload the helicopter unassisted, and walk on icy, uneven terrain with only the assistance of trekking poles provided by the guides. To ensure the comfort of all travelers, passengers weighing 250 pounds (clothed weight) or more must pay an additional $100.00 to secure extra space in the aircraft. Passenger names and weights are required by the FAA for weight and balance calculations and flight manifesting.
- Minimum Age: There is no minimum age on this tour. Lap children under 24 months fly for free!
- What to Bring: Wear warm, comfortable clothing and remember your sunglasses! iPads, iPad minis, tablets, drones, water bottles, and Go-Pro Sticks or other extendable items are not permitted on tour.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
- Guest Rate: $529.00
- Infant Rate: Free (under 24 months) + 5% sales tax
You've got questions, we've got answers
Skagway Shore Tours
Q:How many passengers per helicopter?
Each helicopter can seat up to 6 passengers, provided the weight and balance calculations work out in each aircraft.
Q:What if my tour group is larger than 6 people?
There are several helicopters available at the base and can make accommodations for larger groups with advance notice. If your group exceeds 6 passengers and requires the use of multiple aircraft, we instruct the pilots to coordinate landing locations on the glacier so that you can have your landing time together.
Q:Will we see wildlife on the tour?
There is a good chance wildlife will be seen during your tour, either in flight or while on the glacier. However, this is not a wildlife viewing tour and we cannot guarantee you will see wildlife.
Q:Can children come on the tour?
Absolutely! We are more than happy to accommodate children of all ages. Lap children 2 and under fly for free!
Q:What happens if the weather is too bad to fly?
If the weather is just not cooperating and the pilots determine that it’s too bad to fly, we’ll do our best to reschedule you to a later time of day that works for you. If you choose not to reschedule or we can’t find a time that works for you, our refund policy clearly states that refunds due to weather canceled flights are refunded in full.
Q:What if I need extra help on the tour?
This tour does require a moderate level of fitness in order to load/unload the helicopter and navigate on icy/uneven terrain. Please contact one of our agents if you have further questions about the ability level required for this tour.
You are here: