What to expect and what not to expect with this Skagway shore excursion
Starting with a scenic 10-mile drive out to the historic town of Dyea, the day begins as your guide narrates the short bus ride which cruises along the northern tip of the Taiya Inlet. It's not uncommon to see eagles and even seals along the journey, and you'll actually pass right by the start of the Chilkoot Trail, which was the notoriously arduous path taken by thousands of prospectors a century ago in hopes of striking it rich in Yukon's interior. Climb aboard the sturdy river raft for a peaceful float down the Taiya River, which is fed by high-mountain glacial streams. Depending on the time of year, bald eagles can be prominent and the surrounding views resonate Alaska's natural outdoor beauty. Enjoy a riverside snack after the float before heading back in to Skagway, where you will still have plenty of time to explore the town or even join another tour.
- Dock-to-dock transportation
- 2 ¼ hours duration, about 40 minutes on the river
- Wildlife opportunities: seals, eagles, and sea birds
- Great history & scenery
- Lunch is not included
- No whitewater or rapids
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
SKAGWAY TOURS DETAILS:
- Minimum Age: This mellow float trip is suitable for all ages and ability levels.
- Accessibility: Must be able to climb in and out of the raft comfortably and navigate over uneven, natural terrain.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: In preparing for Skagway shore excursions, we recommend dressing in layers so that you can add an extra jacket if chilly but remove a layer if needed when the sun comes out. Rain ponchos are provided if necessary. You are not expected to get wet on this river journey as there is no whitewater on this trip.
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
|TOUR TIME||PICKUP TIME||duration||drop-off time||available|
|9:00 a.m.||8:50 a.m.||2 hours 15 minutes||11:15 p.m.||7 days/week|
|1:30 p.m.||1:20 p.m.||2 hours 15 minutes||3:45 p.m.||7 days/week|
- Adult Rate: $79.00
- Child Rate: $59.00 (ages 12 and under) + 5% sales tax
You've got questions, we've got answers
Skagway Shore Tours
Q:What will the weather be like?
One thing that is predictable about Alaskan coastal weather is that the weather can be variable. In the course of the day we can see sun, drizzle, sun, clouds and everything in between. Float tours are never cancelled due to weather as the conditions are typically fleeting. The classic saying is that if you don't like the Skagway weather now, just wait 45 minutes. A sunny, warm day might end up rainy and vice versa.
Q:What's the largest group size?
The maximum group size that the rafts can hold is 11 people.
Q:Will we get wet on the rafting ride?
No, this tour is a scenic and mellow float tour and does not contain any whitewater or rapids. Ponchos can be supplied if there is a drizzle but we recommend bringing your camera along as there is no worries about splashing water.
You are here:
This tour compared to similar Skagway tours offered through other sites