What to expect and what not to expect with this Skagway shore excursion
Starting with a 10-mile bus ride out to historic Dyea, you'll learn about the history of the area. Dyea, which is the epitome of a modern-day ghost town, was once home to over 10,000 gold-crazed miners at the turn of the 20th century. Rivaling Skagway at one point in time, Dyea was much closer to the infamous Chilkoot Trail and a popular unloading spot for inbound supplies and equipment. On this Skagway shore excursion, you'll ride right past the Chilkoot Trail, putting you right in the thick of the history that shaped this area over 100 years ago. Few guiding companies are permitted for tours in Dyea which helps to make this an intimate setting surrounded by lush Alaskan vegetation.
- 3 hours duration
- 5-mile biking on flat, dirt terrain
- Surrounded by Alaska's lush temperate rainforest
- A surprising amount of history - Chilkoot Trail, Dyea, gold rush remnants
- Intimate 1:6 guide ratio
- Lunch is not included on this tour
- No aggressive mountain biking on this ride
To add a hike with this excursion, consider this combination:
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
SKAGWAY TOURS DETAILS:
- Minimum Age: The minimum age to participate on this Skagway shore excursion is 10 years old and all participants must be 4'6" in height.
- Accessibility: Must be comfortable riding 5 miles on a bicycle in relatively flat terrain with easy pedaling. Tour time and distance may vary depending on group.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: Sport shoes and layered clothing are recommended. A helmet, rain/wind jacket and pants, and fleece gloves will be provided.