This hands-on Skagway excursion explores the mountains near Skagway just like the pioneers did over a century ago, on horseback. Off the pavement, away from the crowds, step into nature with your guide and discover why you really chose to go to Alaska with this small-group setting tour. No previous horseback experience is required - only a sense of adventure is needed. Starting with a pick-up at your cruise ship, bus 10 miles out to historic Dyea, Alaska where you will meet your horse and guide for the scenic ride. From Dyea, the Chilkoot Horseback Adventure begins and journeys into Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park. This once booming Gold Rush town of 10,000 now lays abandoned, adding to the history and enticement of this mysterious area.
What to expect and what not to expect with this Skagway shore excursion
Continue on through Alaskan rainforest as your guides recollect tales and history from the gold-crazed miners that came up to this area over a century ago, in hopes of striking it rich. Pass by 'downtown Dyea', now an overgrown forest that contains few traces of a scrambling gold rush town. Exiting the rainforest and entering Dyea flats reveals 360 degree scenery and glimpses of the Chilkoot Trail. Ride by the northern tip of the Lynn Canal, North America's longest and deepest fjord, and snap of photo of the mystical green waters. And all along the way, savor the clean mountain air, quiet forests and inspiring snow-capped peaks for that 'Alaskan experience' you were hoping to find.
- Dock-to-dock transportation
- 3.5 hours duration
- Fully narrated by local guides
- Refreshments and salmon pate provided after the ride
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
SKAGWAY TOURS DETAILS:
- Minimum Age: There is no minimum age to participate on this tour so long as participants are at least 4'10" or 58 in.
- Accessibility: Must weigh less than 250 lbs. Any personal physical restrictions must be announced, for safety purposes, upon confirmation of payment received. A space will be provided for medical/physical limitations when booking online.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: Alaskan weather can be variable so it's recommended to plan accordingly. Dress in layers so that you can take off an extra layer when the sun is out or throw on a rain jacket if there is a drizzle.
This tour has received on average 4.5 stars out of 5 based on 15 reviews.
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
- Participant Rate: $169.00 + 5% sales tax
There is no price distinction between adults and children for this tour.
This tour compared to similar Skagway tours offered through other sites